We small businesses are time challenged to really spend the time to plan out our year ahead. But consider the benefits of spending that time to create a well thought out marketing strategy that you can easily follow in the coming months which will definitely improve your results in this New Year.
Following is a checklist of what you can do to define exactly how to proceed with your Strategy.
Clearly define your ideal client.
- The age and gender?
- Their interests?
- Their problems and needs and how your products or services can help them?
- Where do they go online?
Do some research on your competition.
- What strategies are they using?
- What content are they sharing?
- What is the added value they are offering?
- Where is their biggest presence online?
- What “groups” are they present in?
Based on your research above, what and how can you change and improve in your strategy?
Do the research on your current impact online.
- Do an evaluation on your website. What needs to be improved or added to make your website more interactive and mobile ready.
- Check your Google Analytics – define where your traffic is coming from.
- Check your keywords and phrases. Which keywords/phrases will find your site AND your content.
- What Social Media channels are you using? Are there Groups you can join specific to your ideal clients? Which are the most effective?
- Evaluate new Social Media channels – does your ideal client hang out there? Are there additional Groups you can join there?
Now you are ready to develop strategies and how you will present them…
Create a Marketing Funnel
- Do you have a marketing funnel set up to lead prospects into sales?
Create a Content Marketing Calendar for every month.
- Do you have a blog on your website? Should you be blogging more?
- Do you have resources for ideas for content and the latest news in your industry being delivered right to your email inbox so you can share it?
- Do you repurpose your content? Why re-invent the wheel? Offer your content in different forms – blogs – to articles – to powerpoint slides – to infographics – to images – to videos – to audios.
- Do you have a free offer on your website to grow an email list to communicate with your ideal clients?
- Do you have a budget for some paid advertising to boost your prospects?
Set Up A Schedule
- From your Content Marketing calendar on what, when and how you will increase your presence on Social Media channels. Be consistent and timely on distribution of content to the channels that will be most effective for your business
Set Up Your Processes
- Consider what Social Media tools you will use and which ones you can add to streamline your time and monitor your participation and interaction as well as your results. If you use a business calendar for appointments and tasks, add a block of time every day-week-month that is devoted to marketing your business. AND, set aside some time to evaluate what is working and what is not, and take some time to try new ideas and strategies.
And last, but not least, if you are having difficulties in creating ideas and strategies, find yourself a mentor, a coach or a mastermind group of business entrepreneurs where you can share your challenges and get support.